domingo, 25 de octubre de 2009

Beans Everday does NOT keep the doctor away...

Instead of spending a nice weekend at the beach I was stuck in my bed with the dreaded travelers diarrhea. Yup that's right and who knew it could be so miserable because I didn't! I woke up in the middle of the night with chills and body aches like I've never felt before. But gracias a dios I'm on the road to recovery. The best part of this whole experience is that I'm likely to have it several times while I'm here. The sisters here are finally beginning to understand that eating beans three times a day every day is a huge change in diet for their volunteers. It has taken 4 volunteers getting sick before the light bulb came on. Apparently at dinner they asked Gina, Jodi esta enferma porque tanto frijoles? It's really hard for them to comprehend how the food they eat here is hard on the body. For breakfast they usually have beans/cheese and sometimes tamales. Then for lunch soup, rice, beans, and chicken. Then dinner beans and rice. Oh and with every meal they have homemade corn tortillas. Don't get me wrong, the food here is delicious but after so long it takes a toll on the body. The sisters are always telling Gina and I we need to eat more, since we're vegetarians they really worry about us. One of our first weeks here one of the sisters asked me why we weren't eating ham and I replied well because it's meat. De verdad? I don't think they really understand it but it provides momentary comic relief. Well I'm off to rest for the last week of school with the ninas...

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario