jueves, 1 de octubre de 2009

La Primera Semana en Soyapango!

Gina and I arrived Saturday Sept. 26 around 1130am to the wonderful humid weather of El Salvador! It was such a joy to have our friend, Molly, pick us up from the airport with the sisters! Immediately we stopped at a vendor to buy agua de coco with semi-clean water. Era muy rico. There´s currently another American volunteer here with us, Karina, that has helped make our transition easier. Our first dinner with the sisters was a bit overwhelming because there are 8 of them and each of them talk so fast! My duties basically include helping the school psychologist, because I´m a psychologist since I studied psy in college ha NOT, but here that doesn´t matter, if you have a degree then you are qualified. It´s a great position minus the fact that I don´t understand half of what they are saying! The school psychologist, Jessica, is extremely nice and so patient.

In the afternoon I have basketball practice on monday and tuesday since Gina told them that I was a great player, they decided that I then should be the coach! We had our first practice Tuesday and it was awesome even though we didn´t know how to say anything but the girls taught us all the major vocab and now we just have to study! It rains every evening and throughout the night and is hot the entire time but you learn to deal. There are 15 girls that stay here at the school, they are called internas, and in the evenings we stay with them to help with their homework and make sure they complete their chores before bed. They have such a busy schedule, class all day, homework, chores, dinner, and then bed! They are amazing and have taught me soo much. I really enjoy spending time with them, they are full of energy! Speaking of the internas I have to run, it´s time for the rosary, did I mention that in between their chores and dinner they pray a rosary! Until next time....

1 comentario: